Sunday, February 7, 2010

Babe's Books of the week

I've posted before about how important I think it is to read to your babies. The benefits to me are obvious; not only does it help with your child's growing language, communication and memory skills but also teaches them numbers, letters and colours and stimulates imagination.

Maybe its just the librarian in me talking but I genuinely loved reading books as I was growing up (and still do!) and I think its because my parents instilled good reading habits with me when I was so young.

When ZJ was only a couple of months old I started him off with Touch and Feel books such as the 'Thats not my...' range (there are heaps of different ones). These are small enough for bubs to handle and tough enough to take their chewing and pulling. Each page has something to stimulate the babe's senses such as in 'Thats not my pirate' where the pirates shirt was too silky, his beard was too soft or his cutlass was too shiny!

We have 'bedtime stories' as part of the nightly routine now and Zander is up for it most nights. Sometimes he is too tired and the little devil lets me know by turning the pages really fast so i have to read quickly! We usually cut it down to one tiny book and a cuddle in these cases. I've gotten into the habit of reading the same 3-6 books throughout the week, and i really don't think it matters to have a new book every night - its the one on one time and the reading thats important at this stage.

Anyway to get to the point of this post, I am introducing 'The Babe's Books of the Week'. I hope to do this once a week but it may take me a while to get it up and running.

On the bookshelf this week...

Duck's Key: Where Can It Be?
This is a nice and simple book with only a few words per page - which is great for keeping attention spans in place! It also has lift up flaps on each page which baby can explore and help with.




Team Machines: 3-D Move and Play Fun
This one is a favourite with ZJ and I have to admit this one gets read alot. The kid has even pushed away the book i have been reading and grabbed this one so it must be ok with him.
It has a nice rolling rhythm to the words, and its also got movable parts on each page.


Today Is Monday In Louisiana
This book was sent to me by a good friend from New Orleans. Anyone who knows me knows I love that place to the depths of my core and this friend is trying to encourage ZJ too. I love this book because not only does it talk about all my favourite foods (mmm Gumbo, mmm jambalaya...) but it repeats each days food as you go on through the week which helps with the recall skills.

Gaston Goes to Mardi Gras
Obviously from the same place as the previous book. This one is only for special occasions but I have pulled it out for carnival season :) Its a bit longer so I find its only worth doing as a first book or when ZJ is super awake.

Sadly, it makes me very homesick for New Orleans so i have a wee cry each time i read it. A little sad, no!?

Twinkle, Twinkle, Time for Bed
This is a sweet and simple little book and perfect for finishing off the night with.






I would love to hear your favourite books are for reading to babies and any that you may recommend - I'm always looking for a good read!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Goodnight Moon! One of my all time favorites.

Desiree said...

Awe, cute books!! We have quite the collection over here too -- I can't get enough!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails